The IAB wanted to obtain a snapshot of smartphone owners’ phone usage behaviour and their reliance on them, as well as attitudes towards having a smart home.
- 10% of smartphone users check their phone as soon as they wake up and 47% check within the first 10 minutes
- For 20% of people social media is the first thing they check on their smartphone on an average day. This rises to 29% of 18-34 year olds
- For 3 in 10 people, their smartphone is their primary news source
- 60% of under 24’s are interested in being able to control/connect to household appliances via their smartphone
- The most useful household appliances to control via smartphones are thermostat/heating and lights