Effective Date: 30/05/2018
Hello! Thanks for visiting the Privacy Notice of the Internet Advertising Bureau UK (IAB UK) - the UK trade association for digital advertising. You can find out more about the IAB by having a look at our 'About Us' page.
Privacy has been at the top of our agenda ever since the IAB was established in 1997. In this notice, we explain what personal information we collect, why we collect it and who of our trusted partners we share it with. It also tells you how you can access, amend or delete your personal information.
If you're specifically looking for information about data policy and regulatory issues please visit our Policy section.
What personal information do we collect and why do we collect it?
We want to make the service we offer to you the best it can be through the information you share with us. Specifically, we want to:
1. Make sure our site is informative, up-to-date and functions properly
2. Ensure you are the first to know about the IAB's latest thinking, our news and views, as well as important industry news;
3. Make you aware of the existing events and training opportunities; and
4. Get the most out of your membership (if you are an IAB member)
To be able to achieve these aims, we collect personal data in the ways set out below.
When you access our site, we ask for your consent to allow us to store the following cookies on your device:
● Drupal - We use Drupal to ensure your cookie choices are remembered.
● Google Analytics - We use Google Analytics to collect information about how users use our site. We use the information to compile reports and to help us improve the site. The cookies collect information, including the number of visitors to the website, where visitors have come to the website from and the pages they visited. You can read more about these cookies and how Google safeguard them here.
As a member, you can also register for an account on our site. When you do, we first ask you for your email address so we can check whether you already have a login to the site. If you don't, we'll direct you to a follow-up page to fill out a registration form asking for the following details to complete the process:
● Email address - We will use this email address as the main way of communicating with you about your account and for marketing purposes (see details below).
● Password - We hear a specific line from your favourite song can work great here. Whatever you choose, we will never be able to see your password or share it with anyone but you will always be able to reset it.
● First & Last Name - We want to make sure we speak to the right person so please do consider giving us the name you go by at work.
● Job Title, Company, Level - We collect company names and company types to provide a good balance of companies at our events and training, particularly for networking purposes. We also share job titles and company names with speakers and sponsors for events so they can tailor their content. And finally, we collect individuals' job titles, and levels so we can better tailor communications about our member services and our events and training and / or so we can tailor the content we present at events and training. We promise to only use aggregated data for these purposes.
● Specialism - We would like info on specialism to help us communicate with our members better and to ensure our content is relevant to our members. Again, we will always aggregate the data for these purposes.
● Marketing communications by email & phone - We want you to be first to know about our latest thinking, events and training, important industry news and views and our recently launched initiatives. As such, we would like to send you emails and call you from time to time. You can always change your preferences at any time including to opt out of marketing by email or phone (see 'Your preferences and choices' below).
In your account you will also see 'Your Upcoming Events'. This section simply provides an overview of future events run by the IAB and is not tailored based on any information you share with us.
As a non-member, we will process your contact and payment details when you purchase tickets to any of our events in accordance with this privacy notice (see more details below).
When you register to attend an IAB event, we will ask you for the following information:
● Full name
● Email address
● Work phone number
● Job title
● Level of role (e.g. Manager or Director)
● Specialism (e.g. mobile or display advertising)
● Member company & company postal address
We use this information to send you information about the event in advance, record attendance at our events and ensure event badges are accurate and handed out to the right person.
We also usually follow up with attendees of our events after the event itself to either share relevant information from the event, such as slides, videos or handouts, or to ask for feedback. We may also contact people who have attended one of our events in the past to tell them about future events we are hosting that we think they might be interested in. By registering for one of our events you agree to us contacting you for these purposes. You can tell us at any time not to (see 'Your preferences and choices' below).
Our events are often sponsored and we sometimes allow our event sponsors to scan the badges of event attendees (e.g. if you talk to them at their stand or attend their breakout session) in order to contact them. In these cases we will pass on the contact details (name, email address, company name and job title) of those people to the sponsors. Sponsors may use this information to contact you with follow-up information about the event and/or to let you know about their products and services.
You can choose not to have your data shared with event sponsors in this way either by telling us before the event by emailing email@example.com or by not having your badge scanned at the event.
We also occasionally run Upfront events with partners. By attending these events, your details will be shared with these event partners. You will be informed about this at the point of signing up. Specifically, we will share with them your name, email, job title and company name. Sponsors may use this information to contact you with follow-up information about the event and/or to let you know about their products and services. You have the option to say no to this and you can opt out completely by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and letting us know.
Our sponsor companies vary from event to event, but you can find out which sponsors will be present at any specific event and ask for a copy of their privacy policies by emailing us on email@example.com.
Who has access to your information?
The IAB acts as the 'controller' of your personal information and does not and will not sell your information to third parties, including for marketing purposes. However, to deliver what we promise we will share some of your information with our trusted partners, all of which act as data processors for us. Data processors are third parties who can only use your personal information in the way we have instructed them to do so as outlined in this privacy notice. They will not share your personal information with any organisation apart from us. They will hold it securely and retain it for the period we instruct (see more below).
Specifically, we store your account data in our Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system, managed by blue_light CRM. As said above, if you give us permission to do so, we also share personal information with our analytics partners, Google, who manages the information for analytics purposes. And finally, whenever we send you marketing emails, we use our partners MailChimp.
We also share delegates’ event registration data with our trusted partner that provides the technology for us to manage the process of recording attendance and issuing delegate badges at our events.
As described under ‘IAB events’ above, we may additionally share the contact details of event attendees whose badges have been scanned with event sponsors. The sponsors are not data processors but data controllers in their own right and will manage your data in line with their privacy policies. The ‘IAB events’ section above provides more detail on this data sharing including how you can opt out of it.
Your Preferences and Choices
You have control over the personal information that you share with us.
The IAB will not contact you for marketing purposes unless you have agreed to us doing so when you registered on our site or when you registered to attend one of our events. We will record and document that you agreed to us doing this and you can withdraw this at any time by contacting us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. For email marketing, the easiest way to withdraw your consent is by clicking on the unsubscribe button at the bottom of any email that you receive. Please note: in this case, we will need to keep a record in order to remember who you are to ensure you do not receive any contact from us again unless you wish to receive it.
You also have the right to withdraw your consent with respect to the processing of your personal information for analytics purposes to enhance, modify or improve the site. You can do this by managing your privacy settings (depending on the browser you are using) at:
How can you access or update your Personal Information in your account?
Once registered, you can always change your preferences in your profile. You also have the option to add your billing information to make the booking of our events (conferences, seminars, training) easier and more straightforward.
We try our very best to keep your data accurate. However, if you become aware of any errors or if you would like to see what personal information we have collected from you, you may correct, update, amend, delete/remove, deactivate it by emailing our email@example.com. We will respond to your request to access as soon as possible but at the very least within 30 days.
How do we keep your Personal Information secure?
The security of your personal information is also important to us. When you provide us with it, we will take steps and make our best efforts to ensure it is treated securely on our systems.
These companies are authorised to use your personal information only as necessary to provide these services to us.
How long do we keep your data?
We will retain your personal information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services. We will retain and use your personal information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
What happens to my data when I apply for a job on the IAB UK site?
We will process your information for the purpose of our recruitment process, including to assess your suitability for the job and to contact you throughout the process. If you have been successful, your data will be handled as set out by the IAB's internal data protection policies. We keep information from candidates for six months after which we permanently destroy it.
This site contains links to other websites. We are not responsible for the content or privacy notices of any of these sites. If you submit personal information to any of those sites, your information is governed by their privacy notices. We encourage you to carefully read the privacy notices of any web site you visit.
Changes to this notice
We last updated this notice on 30 May 2018 in line with the GDPR. You can find out more about the IAB's work on the GDPR here and about the GDPR in general on the ICO's website here. We will keep this policy under review and updated it as needed.
If what you read above doesn't answer all your questions or you have any other queries, please do get in touch with us directly. You can email our Head of Policy & Regulatory Affairs, Christie Dennehy-Neil, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any issues relating to the way we use your personal information, you can also raise them with the UK Information Commissioner's Office (ICO): https://ico.org.uk/concerns/
And if you fancy a visit to our office, you can find us here:
67-68 Long Acre
0207 050 6969