Effective Date: 12/03/2018
Hello! Thanks for visiting the Privacy Notice of the Internet Advertising Bureau UK (IAB UK) - the UK trade association for digital advertising. You can find out more about the IAB by having a look at our 'About Us' page.
Privacy has been at the top of our agenda ever since the IAB was established in 1997. In this notice, we explain what personal information we collect, why we collect it and who of our trusted partners we share it with. It also tells you how you can access, amend or delete your personal information.
If you're specifically looking for information about data policy and regulatory issues please visit our Policy section.
What personal information do we collect and why do we collect it?
We want to make the service we offer to you the best it can be through the information you share with us. Specifically, we want to:
1. Make sure our site is informative, up-to-date and functions properly
2. Ensure you are the first to know about the IAB's latest thinking, our news and views, as well as important industry news;
3. Make you aware of the existing events and training opportunities; and
4. Get the most out of your membership (if you are an IAB member)
To be able to achieve these aims, we collect personal data in the ways set out below.
When you access our site, we ask for your consent to allow us to store the following cookies on your device:
● Google Analytics - We use Google Analytics to collect information about how users use our site. We use the information to compile reports and to help us improve the site. The cookies collect information, including the number of visitors to the website, where visitors have come to the website from and the pages they visited. You can read more about these cookies and how Google safeguard them here.
● Po.st - We use RhythmOne's Po.st technology which allows users to share content they interact with on the site. When doing so, RhythymOne may receive Ad Serving and Web Navigation Information, including the URL content shared by a user. They can also discern which channel was used for sharing content (e.g. Twitter or LinkedIn or email). If you use Po.st to send an URL link to another user, and the user clicks on the sent URL link, we may also receive Ad Serving and Web Navigation information related to this user. You can find out more about the Po.st technology here.
● ScorecardResearch - We use ScorecardResearch's tags for market research purposes to count users who have visited and seen a page or various parts of a page to improve the experience on our site. You can find out more about ScorecardResearch, including how to opt-out, here.
● Incapsula - We use Incapsula to ensure the delivery of the content is efficient.
As a member, you can also register for an account on our site. When you do, we first ask you for your email address so we can check whether you already have a login to the site. If you don't, we'll direct you to a follow-up page to fill out a registration form asking for the following details to complete the process:
● Email address - We will use this email address as the main way of communicating with you about your account and for marketing purposes (see details below).
● Password - We hear a specific line from your favourite song can work great here. Whatever you choose, we will never be able to see your password or share it with anyone but you will always be able to reset it.
● First & Last Name - We want to make sure we speak to the right person so please do consider giving us the name you go by at work.
● Job Title, Company, Level - We collect company names and company types to provide a good balance of companies at our events and training, particularly for networking purposes. We also share job titles and company names with speakers and sponsors for events so they can tailor their content. And finally, we collect individuals' job titles, and levels so we can better tailor communications about our member services and our events and training and / or so we can tailor the content we present at events and training. We promise to only use aggregated data for these purposes.
● Specialism - We would like info on specialism to help us communicate with our members better and to ensure our content is relevant to our members. Again, we will always aggregate the data for these purposes.
● Marketing communications by email & phone - We want you to be first to know about our latest thinking, events and training, important industry news and views and our recently launched initiatives. As such, we would like to send you emails and call you from time to time. We will only do so, if you've given us your affirmative consent for each channel (email & phone) individually. You can always change your preferences (see below for more details).
In your account you will also see 'Your Upcoming Events'. This section simply provides an overview of future events run by the IAB and is not tailored based on any information you share with us.
As a non-member, we will process your contact and payment details when you purchase tickets to any of our events in accordance with this privacy notice (see more details below).
Who has access to your information?
The IAB acts as the 'controller' of your personal information and does not and will not sell your information to third parties, including for marketing purposes. However, to deliver what we promise we will share some of your information with our trusted partners, all of which act as data processors for us. Data processors are third parties who can only use your personal information in the way we have instructed them to do so as outlined in this privacy notice. They will not share your personal information with any organisation apart from us. They will hold it securely and retain it for the period we instruct (see more below).
Specifically, we store your account data in our Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system, managed by blue_light CRM. As said above, if you give us permission to do so, we also share personal information with our analytics partners, Google, who manages the information for analytics purposes. And finally, whenever we send you marketing emails, we use our partners MailChimp.
Your Preferences and Choices
You have control over the personal information that you share with us.
The IAB will not contact you for marketing purposes unless you have specifically given us your active consent to do so when you registered on our site. We will record and document your giving of consent and you can withdraw this at any time by contacting us directly at email@example.com. For email marketing, the easiest way to withdraw your consent is by clicking on the unsubscribe button at the bottom of any email that you receive. Please note: in this case, we will need to remember who you are to ensure you do not receive any contact from us again unless you wish to receive it.
You also have the right to withdraw your consent with respect to the processing of your personal information for analytics purposes to enhance, modify or improve the site. You can do this by managing your privacy settings (depending on the browser you are using) at:
How can you access or update your Personal Information in your account?
Once registered, you can always change your preferences in your profile. You also have the option to add your billing information to make the booking of our events (conferences, seminars, training) easier and more straightforward.
We try our very best to keep your data accurate. However, if you become aware of any errors or if you would like to see what personal information we have collected from you, you may correct, update, amend, delete/remove, deactivate it by emailing our firstname.lastname@example.org. We will respond to your request to access as soon as possible but at the very least within 30 days.
How do we keep your Personal Information secure?
The security of your personal information is also important to us. When you provide us with it, we will take steps and make our best efforts to ensure it is treated securely on our systems.
These companies are authorised to use your personal information only as necessary to provide these services to us.
How long do we keep your data?
We will retain your personal information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services. We will retain and use your personal information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
What happens to my data when I apply for a job on the IAB UK site?
This site contains links to other websites. We are not responsible for the content or privacy notices of any of these sites. If you submit personal information to any of those sites, your information is governed by their privacy notices. We encourage you to carefully read the privacy notices of any web site you visit.
Changes to this notice
We last updated this notice on 12 March 2018 and will continuously review it. We expect to make substantial changes to this notice on 25 May 2018 or likely before that date as a result of the incoming General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). You can find out more about the IAB's work on the GDPR here and on the ICO's website here.
If what you read above doesn't answer all your questions or you have any other queries, please do get in touch with us directly. You can email our Head of Policy & Ad Tech, Yves Schwarzbart, at email@example.com.
If you have any issues relating to the way we use your personal information, you can also raise them with the UK Information Commissioner's Office (ICO): https://ico.org.uk/concerns/
And if you fancy a visit to our office, you can find us here:
67-68 Long Acre
0207 050 6969