IAB reveals steps taken to solve digital advertising's biggest issues
Posted on: Tuesday 26 July 2016
Outlines what’s happened in the year since the launch of “IAB Believes” initiative.
One year after launching its “IAB Believes” initiative, the Internet Advertising Bureau UK is publishing a summary of the progress made to tackle the five biggest issues facing digital advertising.
The “Believes” initiative outlined a concise industry position and the direction for each issue – brand safety, viewability, ad-fraud, (all ad verification issues), ad blocking and privacy (both consumer-led issues).
Here at the IAB, our aim is to create the right environment for digital advertising to thrive - by supporting the industry in its development and driving its future.
Digital is the fastest-growing advertising medium in the UK – worth £10.4bn, up 17.3% year-on-year – now accounting for about 86% of the total UK ad market.
Data and automated technologies play a vital role in the online ad trading and verification process. Increasingly, several important issues, including ad blocking, ad fraud, brand safety, privacy and viewability have been put under a microscope. Working with partner trade bodies and technology vendors, we’re making major strides in addressing and talking these growing concerns.
The highlights are listed below.
· Ad blocking - launched DEAL as a set of options to help publishers; working towards the launch of the more detailed LEAN ad standards, supported by 44 IABs globally; delivered ongoing research to understand and monitor the issue; lobbying Government and regulators to raise concerns regarding mobile network ad blocking
· Ad – fraud - Delivered a taxonomy of the 16 different types of potential online ad fraud; created Good Practice Principles against which companies can be audited; developing a certification programme with first companies expected to be certified early 2017
· Viewability – Launched the second certification of viewability vendors to reduce discrepancies; released updated principles to include desktop video; developing a certification programme with first vendor companies expected to be certified early 2017
· Brand Safety – 36 companies involved in the trading of digital display now certified in the third round of audits against the DTSG Good Practice Principles
· Privacy – launched a working group to respond to the new EU General Data Protection Regulation, and in discussion with Government and ICO following Brexit.
Ads for the players: getting in-game experiences right
How can in-game advertisers ensure that ads don’t just work for their environment, but fully integrate within it? Bidstack’s CEO James Draper takes a...Learn more
IAB UK Connected | Episode 2: Lara O’ReillyLearn more
Trusted news needs you: back don’t block British journalism
Today the media industry’s trade bodies have joined forces to help support trusted news brands during this unprecedented COVID-19 crisis.Learn more